I still think breakfast is the easiest meal to make Paleo, but casseroles are usually kind of a challenge without bread or cheese. I threw this one together the other day and it worked out really well! It's so nice to make if you're having people over and don't want to do a bunch of cooking that morning.
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of crushed or chopped garlic
- About 3 tablespoons oliveo il
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- About 10 ounces of Italian sausage (or regular breakfast sausage)
- 10 eggs
- Green onion, for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pan, sauté chopped onion and garlic in some olive oil until translucent. Add diced sweet potato and cook until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from pan and add to a baking dish.
- Add more oil to the pan and sauté sliced mushrooms until browned. Season with salt and pepper. Add them to the baking dish as a second layer.
- Finally, add the sausage to the pan and cook until no more pink remains. Season with salt and pepper. Add that to the baking dish as a third layer. (At this point, you could cover and refrigerate overnight if you want to wait to bake and serve.
- Preheat the oven to 350. In a bowl, whisk the eggs well (season a bit with salt and pepper) and pour over the casserole mixture in the baking dish. bake for 50-70 minutes, or until the eggs are no longer runny. Serve hot and garnish with a sprinkle of sliced green onion.