The other night, Rob and I were taking a drive and listening, once again, to Cecilia and the Sattelite.
"I think this is one of my favorite songs right now," I said.
"Really? Like, is it in your top five favorite songs?" Rob asked.
It was just a little question, but the truth is that your Top Five Favorite Songs is kind of a serious thing. So we spent a few minutes in the car after we got back home, trying to come up with five of our most favorite songs. Most of mine remind me of college or a specific memory, which I think is kind of fun. Here's what I came up with (and why):
- Marching Bands of Manhattan, Death Cab for Cutie
- The first DCFC song I ever heard. It mesmerized me--made me stop what I was doing and just close my eyes to listen.
- How or Ne Me Quitte Pas, Regina Spektor
- Arguably two of the saddest and happiest-sounding songs of Regina's, respectively. I love them both.
- Holiday from Real, Jack's Mannequin or Hurricane, Something Corporate
- Holiday from Real brings back college memories and Hurricane does the same with summer college memories.
- Breathe Me, Sia
- This song is used in the series finale of Six Feet Under, a show I've never even seen, but a favorite professor used the clip in a lesson that I'll never forget. Then I played this song on repeat whenever I was nervous or upset or running. It calms me down, makes me think, brings me joy--all the things you could ever want out of a song.
- Wake Up, Arcade Fire
- I first heard this in the Where The Wild Things Are movie trailer and I knew I was going to love it (the song and the film). Also the perfect song for a run with hills in it.
What are five (or seven) of your favorite songs?