Recipe: Gluten-Free Cheesy One-Pot Sausage Pasta
I don't eat pasta too regularly these days, but when I do, I like to do it all the way. So when a couple of Rob's best guy friends came to visit us for a few days in Charlotte, I headed to BJ's Wholesale Club and picked up a bunch of groceries to make a nice big family dinner for all of us.
I grabbed some Barilla gluten-free penne and a couple other straightforward ingredients--I came up with an easy but delicious one-pot cheesy gluten-free pasta recipe, loaded with spicy sausage. I'm the only one in the group who's gluten-free, but it was a hit all around.
- 1 pound Barilla Gluten-Free pasta
- 1 pound of hot Italian sausage
- 1 small onion. diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 2-2 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (I like a cheddar/jack mix)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- a couple green onions, sliced for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the hot Italian sausage to the pot and let them brown on all sides. Remove them from the pot once they're mostly cooked and slice into round pieces. Transfer back to the pot. (I'm sure you could do this when they're still raw but I like to let them cook first.)
- Add the tomato sauce to the sausage and onion and stir. Once the sauce has covered all the sausage, pour in about two cups of the chicken stock and bring to a low boil/simmer.
- Pour the pasta into the pot and combine well. Let it cook with the cover on for about ten minutes and add the rest of the chicken stock. Re-cover and cook for five to ten more minutes, or until the pasta is al-dente and the stock is mostly absorbed.
- Throw about half the cheese in and give it a stir. Once it's melted, top it with the rest of the cheese and let it melt. Garnish with green onion and serve hot. Enjoy!
Make sure to check out Barilla's Gluten-Free recipe board on Pinterest for even more dinner ideas!
Visit BJ's Wholesale Clubs on December 22nd and 23rd to see an in store Barilla Gluten Free pasta demo at select clubs.