Mezzetta recently asked me to use a few of their products to share a recipe associated with a favorite holiday memory, and immediately I thought about my family and some friends gathering around the island in my parents' kitchen for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. It's my favorite part of every holiday--especially Thanksgiving and Christmas.
For Thanksgiving we often make Cosmopolitans, which are delicious but a bit sweet, and from time to time we've been known to shake up a few rounds of Lemon Drop Martinis, which are practically a dessert on their own. When it comes to eating and drinking around the holidays, I'm a big fan of a dirty martini with vodka--it's fancy but straightforward, and its salty olive flavor goes so well with a nice antipasto platter, which is one of my mom's specialties. I've included both recipes for you below. Enjoy!
Really Dirty (Kind of Filthy) Martini
- One part vodka
- One and a half parts juice from Mezzetta Martini Olives Marinated in Dry Vermouth (If you like your martinis less dirty, just do one part--or less--of olive juice.)
- Two or three olives, for garnish
- Place vodka and olive juice in a shaker with ice. Shake well until the shaker is really cold.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a toothpick loaded with olives.
- Enjoy with snacks and some people you really like.
Any or All of the Following Ingredients:
- Pepperoncini/Banana Peppers
- Marinated Roasted Red, Yellow, or Orange Peppers
- Salami, Pepperoni, and/or Mortadella
- Any assortment of cheese--Parmesan, Gouda, Brie, Manchego, etc.
- Crackers and/or Bread