This post was originally published in September of 2013 and is one of my most popular Paleo recipes here on Freckled Italian. I decided to update the photos and re-publish it in case any newer readers may have missed it. These eggplant fries are just as delicious as they were the first time. I also included my (not so) super secret spicy mayo recipe at the end, because what's the point of having fries if you don't have something to dip them in?
I am so not a fan of eggplant. It's just not my thing. What I am a fan of, however, are French fries, and while they aren't very Paleo, they are delicious. I bought an eggplant the other day because it was on sale and I was like, well why not? I usually roast them up in big slices and just can't handle the texture. So I cut them into fry-like strips and baked them at a high heat and what I got was pretty close to French fries. They're also kind of fall-y, which I know we all love. You're welcome.
- One medium to large eggplant
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut eggplant into medallions, then stack medallions and cut into French fry-like strips.
- Place eggplant strips onto a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season lightly with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Pop them in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the majority of them are browned and crispy. Let cool slightly before removing from pan.
These are incredibly delicious. I promise.
And they were even better with a bit of spicy aioli I whipped up. It's super easy--just mix about a tablespoon or two of mayo with one or two teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce. I used a mix of Sriracha and some leftover chili oil from the Chinese place we order takeout from.