10 Things I Always Have in My Kitchen
The other day I came across this post on A Beautiful Plate and it got me thinking about the 10 things I always keep in my kitchen. My grocery shopping trips often run the risk of being a little boring, but over the years I've gotten really good about getting in and out with the same main ingredients every week, so I thought I'd share a few things I always have no matter what.
- Avocados: I always pick up 3-4 and put them on pretty much everything--scrambled eggs, taco salads, burger bowls, etc. Sometimes I just cut one in half and have it as a snack with a little lime juice, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Salad Mix: Usually a spinach and arugula mix from Trader Joe's, but sometimes I grab spinach only (I like being able to sauté it all quickly if it's about to wilt and we haven't eaten enough of it yet). I'll grab a handful of greens and add it as a side to pretty much every dish I make throughout the day.
- Bacon: About once a week I'll bake a big sheet pan of bacon in the oven and save it for breakfasts or for topping salads. I also like to let the grease cool and then spoon it into a jar, which I keep in the fridge and use for cooking pretty much everything.
- Eggs: Rob and I go through almost two dozen eggs a week--I like them fried but lately we've been having them scrambled with a little shredded cheddar on top.
- Grass-Fed Butter: I've been completely obsessed with Kerrygold butter for a while now, and we always have it in the fridge. It's seriously good enough to eat on its own, and sometimes I dip sliced radishes in it with a little salt. So good.
- Lemons and Limes: I love hot water with lemon at night, and we always use limes in our cocktails. I usually pick up 2-3 limes and 1-2 lemons. We actually just got a lemon and lime tree from Home Depot a few weekends ago and it's been really fun watching them grow on our back patio, although I think it'll be a while until we actually get any fruit from it.
- Sugar Snap Peas: My favorite snack, and Ender's too! We use sugar snap peas and sometimes carrots (pretty much any vegetable) as dog treats because for some reason regular ones make him kind of itchy (we think it's a chicken allergy).
- Garlic: Everything is better when it starts with sautéed garlic.
- Onions: I like white and red onions and always have at least one of each ready to go.
- Hot Dogs: Maybe it's weird, but we always have hot dogs in the fridge. They're the easiest and we love them for a quick lunch or dinner when no one is in the mood to cook.
What do you always have in your kitchen?