My friend Paige came over for dinner and The Bachelorette the other night and I wanted to make something delicious but low-key and easy to make ahead. I make a thing I call "salsa chicken," but haven't posted the recipe here because it's a little simple: you literally just throw chicken and salsa in a crock-pot and cook it for 8 hours. Add a few toppings and some corn tortillas (or lettuce leaves if you're keeping in Paleo) and voila! Crock-pot chicken tacos.
- About 2 pounds of chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 medium white onion, sliced thinly
- Half a jar of salsa
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3-4 tablespoons Mexican or taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Corn tortillas or lettuce leaves
- Toppings: avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, lettuce, salsa, shredded cheese
- Put sliced onion and chicken in the crock-pot. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning, then pour half a jar of your favorite salsa on top. Cook on low for about 8 hours--after 5 or 6 hours, remove the chicken, shred with two forks, put it back in, and give the whole thing a stir.
- Set up your taco bar by placing all toppings in separate ramekins, or just make little piles of them on a cutting board (or some combination of the two). Assemble tacos and enjoy.