Recipe: Zucchini Spaghetti and Meatballs
Happy Friday! I'm back with another recipe from my new cookbook today (and in case you missed it, I answered some reader questions earlier this week right here). This zucchini spaghetti and meatballs is one of my favorite easy comfort food recipes made Paleo, and it's perfect for a cozy weekend at home with family or friends!
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- Half of a small white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
For the sauce and zoodles:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 16-18 oz can or jar of diced tomatoes with juice (no sugar added)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3-4 large zucchini, spiralized
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, onion, parsley, garlic, egg, basil, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Roll into meatballs using your hands, then carefully add them to a large skillet over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Brown the meatballs on all sides, turning every couple of minutes. Transfer the meatballs to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant and the onion is softened slightly.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice and the red pepper flakes. Bring to a low simmer and add the meatballs back in. Cover and cook for another 5-7 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the skillet and toss gently to combine everything together. Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately, garnished with the parsley.
Tip: Add some grated Parmesan cheese to this dish as a topping if you aren't dairy-free or Paleo.
This post is brought to you in partnership with Rockridge Press.