My Favorite Non-Maternity Maternity Clothes
Every time I start a blog post with "I don't want this to become a mommy blog..." you can bet I'm about to share something pregnancy-related. However! I've been working on this post for a few days and then someone actually requested it from me on Instagram so here it is!
I've worked really hard to get rid of all the clothes I don't absolutely love and wear all the time, so the thought of buying maternity clothing really bugged me. I decided to see how long I could go before I had to buy anything specifically for my changing body, and it worked really well! I'm still mostly wearing the clothes I owned before, and have only recently bought a few items to get me through the summer. I'm hoping that when the weather cools down again, my regular wardrobe of leggings and baggy sweaters will serve me well and I won't have to keep buying new stuff.
So without further ado, here are some of the things I already had (or bought in my first trimester) that aren't actually maternity pieces, but worked really well through 20 weeks or so of pregnancy (some of them are still just great)!
- I have a couple drawstring rompers much like this one that were the first thing to stop fitting, but worked really well for a few months (although when you have to pee all the time it's kind of a pain to get on and off).
- These tanks are less than 5 bucks at Old Navy and I bought 5 or 6 of them (size large, for reference--I'm usually a small or medium). They're fitted but stretchy and long enough to fit over my growing bump.
- A big baggy sweater to throw on in the mornings--I love that the Bay Area is always chilly early and late every day. I wear something like this to the barre studio or when I'm walking Ender.
- The first thing I wanted to stop wearing were regular bras, and this sports bra is perfect under a tee shirt or tank top. It doesn't have a ton of support but it's soft and really comfortable.
- This dress still fits great and I wear it a lot. It's also just really flattering on, pregnant or not.
- I've been living in athletic wear even more now that I teach Pure Barre a few times a week, and these Alo leggings have been a lifesaver. They're high-waisted without a seam so they don't cut into your belly and they look very smooth under a shirt. I just got this style recently but the others I linked to below have stuck with me since before I got pregnant.
- Baggy tank tops like this were great those first few months when I felt like I was getting a little bigger but not really ready to let people know that we were expecting. (I always feel like I'm getting way more for my money when I buy shirts I can work out in or wear out somewhere.)
- These leggings are probably the coolest pants I've ever owned. They're so pretty and make me feel like a bit of a badass. I love the mesh detail and the pintucked panels. They were my first Alo purchase and I was a little unsure about the high price tag but I wear them so much they were absolutely worth it.
That's it for now! Do you have any pieces of clothing that you wear all the time no matter what? And please let me know if you have any other requests for posts--clothing/pregnancy-related or not! I'm teaching a bit less and just finished a big project so I'm excited to spend some extra time on the blog for the rest of the summer and into the fall, and I always love hearing from you guys with questions and/or requests.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click around and/or buy something, I make a small commission. Thanks for your support as I continue to share content like this!