The other day on Instagram, I got a request to share my hair care routine and products, and I loved the idea, so here we go!
My hair is naturally very straight but it's also super thick, which I guess is a pretty good combination. I rarely wear it straight because I just don't like the way it looks on me--at the least I'll separate my hair into four sections and curl them quickly to give it a little bit of volume. At the most, I'll pin it all up and curl it in smaller sections, which lasts longer and looks a lot better. If you guys are interested, I can share a post (or video!) that shows exactly how I style my hair--just let me know!
I've been slowly going a little lighter with my color so I try really hard to take good care of it, since lifting color can really do a number on your ends. Here's a breakdown of my washing/styling routine and the products I use:
- I only wash my hair once a week, and when I do I use this shampoo and this conditioner. Once I'm out of the shower, I use this leave-in treatment from Redken and comb it through.
- If possible (and because it's so straight), I like to let my hair air dry. I style it with a curling iron a lot so I always feel like this is my way of giving it a break. I'll wash it a few hours before bed (if I go to bed with wet hair it looks crazy in the morning) or in the morning if I don't have anywhere to be for a few hours. I do always blow-dry my bangs right away, though.
- If I do blow-dry, I like to use a tiny drop of this serum to smooth it out and speed up the dry time.
- I use a 1 1/4 inch curling iron by Hot Tools to style. I've had it forever and probably need a new one soon! I like the big curls but sometimes when I'm in Roanoke I use my mom's and it's a little smaller and I think I may like the way my hair looks with that one a bit better.
- I've tried tons of different dry shampoos and I think my favorite one is this one by Dove. I had one by Redken but I didn't love it and it was a lot more expensive, so I generally stick to drug store brands as I continue to experiment and find the ones I love the most. If I run out then I'll just use good old regular baby powder--it works best if you use quite a bit before bed and then brush it out in the morning.
- I like this hair spray by Tresseme a lot, even though I should probably be using something a little bit nicer on my hair.
- This is my favorite deep conditioner. It makes your hair so soft and it smells amazing. I've been using it for years. I think you can use it once a week but since I only wash my hair once a week, I usually deep condition once a month.
- I very rarely brush my hair (I think that might be weird), but when I do I use this bristle brush that I'm pretty sure I bought at Target.
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click and/or buy something I'll make money. I only post things I use and love myself, and I value authenticity and your trust as a reader over any commissions I could possibly ever earn. Thanks for your support!
PS If you're in the mood to shop, everything on ShopBop's site is 25% off until Thursday with the code INTHEFAM. I've got my eye on some tank tops and white jeans for spring and summer! You can check out a few more of my favorites below. And if you have any other requests for blog posts, please let me know! I love to hear them and would love to share content that you've specifically asked for!