For as long as I can remember, I've identified as someone who loves food. My mom was always cooking something delicious when I was a kid, and her dad was always doing the same while she was growing up. We were big pasta eaters, too--everything was served with or on pasta.
Having an Italian mom from Argentina meant a lot to me--we drink yerba mate every morning when we're together and cooking has always been a favorite family pastime. And carbs! Who doesn't love pasta? I certainly do, which made it really tough for me to realize that I was gluten intolerant a few years ago. I started swapping out gluten and grains and dairy and sugar and was feeling a lot better, even if I missed our old traditions (pasta with pesto and arroz con leche to name a couple). But I soon learned that it's not necessarily what you're eating that makes food special--it's who you're sharing it with.
And we came up with some new favorites--this Paleo Pizza Chicken is one of them.
- 1.5 pounds of chicken (you can use thighs or breasts--I like thighs with skin on)
- About 3 ounces of pepperoni
- 1/2 onion, diced
- About 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- About 15 ounces of Traditional Ragu pasta sauce
- 2-4 tablespoons of black olives (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and diced onions and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Slice or cut up the pepperoni and add to the pan, along with some of the olives (save a few to top the dish when it's done).
- Place the chicken in the pan and brown well on one side. Flip it over and cover with some tomato sauce. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Turn the heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through (time will depend on the thickness of the chicken).
- Serve hot with a side of veggies--I love roasted Brussels sprouts!
Thank you to Ragu for sponsoring today's post and inspiring me to pass on my family traditions!