Sooner or later, there comes a time in every Paleo dieter's life when nothing in the world sounds worse than eating another egg. It happens to me about every four to six months, and that's where I am now. Scrambled, hard-boiled, fried--it doesn't matter--it all sounds bad.
We eat a lot of eggs, but after several weeks of living in a hotel and having nothing for breakfast but those catered buffet scrambled eggs every morning, it's smoothie time here in the Peterson household. But, in an attempt to make scrambled eggs less boring, last weekend I took a page out of my own book and made some Paleo "pizza eggs," and the results were pretty delicious!
Ingredients (serves two):
- Five or six scrambled eggs
- Four to five tablespoons of chopped pepperoni
- A quarter of an onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon of sugar-free pizza sauce, plus more for topping
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh rosemary (optional)
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs. Add them to the pan.
- Stir the eggs as they begin to cook and some of the chopped pepperoni, oregano, crushed red pepper, and the tablespoon of pizza sauce.
- When the eggs are cooked to your liking, plate and top with more pepperoni, a few spoonfuls of pizza sauce, and a sprig of fresh rosemary.